Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Opposing Counsel

If there's one thing I've learned so far practicing law, it's this: the attorney on the other side of a case has everything to do with what you can get done.

Really, it makes all the difference.  The interactions between opposing counselors sets the tone for the case, affects the attitudes that the clients have, and has a huge bearing on one's ability to get things done.  I can't tell you how many clients I have right now who just keep checking in with me to see if anything is going on.  "No," I tell them, "I'm still waiting to hear back from opposing counsel."

And that's frustrating for me and for my clients.  We make it a hallmark of our work to be responsive and act quickly.  It would be nice to get the same in return.  And sometimes we do!  But all too often, it's more of the same: "I'll let you know when I hear something."

No comments:

Post a Comment